The Commissioner of the Revenue assesses Cumberland County business license fees on businesses conducted in Cumberland County. Most of the county license fees are levied on the basis of gross receipts. The license must be renewed by March 1 of each year. Application must be made with the Commissioner of the Revenue's office within 30 days of the start of the business.
Effective July 1, 2014, every business located in Cumberland County will be required to obtain one of the following licenses:
- Operating License: A license issued to a business with gross receipts totaling $10,000 or less. Although there is no fee associated with this license, all of the following mandatory requirements listed must be completed before issuance.
- Business License: Every business with gross receipts greater than $10,000 is required to purchase a business license after completing the following mandatory requirements listed.
To apply for your license, please perform the following steps in the order in which they are presented.
- Cumberland County Code §18-33(c) requires every person applying for a business license to ensure that the location for the business be properly zoned for its intended use by such business. Call or visit the Planning Department (call 804-492-3520) to find out if your business location is properly zoned for your business activities, especially if you intend to conduct business from your home.
- Visit the Virginia State Corporation Commission website if you will be operating a business under an assumed or fictitious trade name. A trade name that includes the sole proprietors' last name does not need to be recorded. A trade name using only an individual's initials or any other fictitious name which differs from the actual sole proprietor, partnership, LLC, or corporate name must be recorded with the Virginia State Corporation Commission. Virginia Code §59.1-74 requires that the Commissioner of the Revenue's office must receive proof of recordation with Virginia State Corporation Commission before business license can be issued. A fee of $10 must be paid at the time of application.
- If you are in one of the following categories, you must register with the State Board for Contractors, located at:
9960 Mayland Drive
Richmond, VA 23233
- Virginia Code §54.1-1111(B) requires that contractors in either of these categories must provide their State Board of Contractors registration number before a license may be issued.
- Accept individual contracts of $1,000 or more
- Have total gross receipts in excess of $150,000 during a 12-month period
Complete a Contractors Certification of Insuring Liability for Worker's Compensation in Virginia filing. Virginia Code §58.1-3714B(1) prohibits a county from issuing or reissuing a business license to a contractor who has not obtained or is not maintaining worker's compensation coverage for his employees, if such coverage is required. Questions regarding workers' compensation coverage requirements should be directed to the Workers' Compensation Commissioner at:
1000 DMV Drive
Richmond, VA 23233
- Complete the Application for Cumberland County Business License (PDF) and bring the following documents listed to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue.
The following list of paperwork is required prior to the issuance of a Cumberland County Business License. Please be sure to bring all applicable items with you when applying:
- Certificate of Assumed or Fictitious Name form filed online with the State Corporation Commission
- Payment (make checks payable to Treasurer, Cumberland County)
- State-issued picture identification
- Zoning Permit Application (PDF) approved and filed with the Zoning Department
- Form from Worker's Compensation website showing you have filed online
- State Contractor's License or Affidavit of Contractor
Try these helpful sites: